Information for councils
Taxi Driving Assessments
Green Penny can assist councils by providing an assessment service for applicants that meets the same requirements laid out by the DVSA. We offer 3 types of assessment:
Standard Taxi Assessment
Wheelchair Upgrade Assessment
Enhanced Assessment (Including Wheelchair Assessment)
Driving Assessment Process
Our taxi driver assessment process ensures that drivers are able to demonstrate:
- That their eyesight meets the legal requirements.
- A safe standard of driving.
- A manoeuvre where they will be asked to turn their vehicle around to face the opposite direction.
- Around 10 minutes of driving without being given turn-by-turn instructions.
- A stop at the side of the road as if a passenger is getting in or out their vehicle.
- Knowledge on related questions, such as what to do if a passenger leaves property in their vehicle.
- Their knowledge on questions from the Highway Code and identifying traffic signs and road markings.
- An emergency stop (they may be asked to carry this out at the assessor’s discretion)
Where an enhanced assessment is required, the driver will also be assessed on their ability to:
- Safely load and unload a wheelchair in their vehicle.
- Use the wheelchair brakes to secure and release it.
- Fasten the seatbelts or safety harness.
- Secure and wheel belts or clamps fitted to the vehicle.
Where only a wheelchair assessment is required this can be arranged as a standalone assessment
All assessments are designed to match the assessments that were phased out by the DVSA during 2016, therefore ensuring that local authorities maintain the consistency they have experienced with the DVSA assessment. A certificate will be provided on completion of an acceptable assessment performance which will provide the local authority with the confirmation needed to meet their current requirements.
Taxi Driver Remedial Training
Our Taxi Driver Remedial Training is designed to improve the driving skills and behaviour of new and existing taxi drivers (Hackney Carriage and PHV) applicants so they and their passengers are as safe as possible whilst on the road.
As a fleet training provider working with over 60 UK councils, we understand the challenges that councils face in maintaining a high level of safety from their taxi badge licence holders. We can help to advance the skills of your licence holders to reduce the level of accidents and complaints made against them. Our half-day course (3.5 hours) is £234.00 Inc. VAT per driver.
This is a 3.5 hour course which includes the following:
- Legal requirements checked: Driving Licence and Eyesight.
- Vehicle checks and legal requirements.
- Short introductory presentation discussing skills based driving, touching on; Cabology, eco driving and hazard perception, with an overview of risk management and driver responsibilities.
- Where a driver has been referred to Green Penny by a particular council, further issues can be included (upon request from council) in relevant areas of the course.
- 1 hour on road assessment including debrief and feedback.
- 1.5 hours on road remedial training and coaching.
- Final report, feedback and certificate of completion is issued to all candidates. Where a candidate has met or exceeded the required standard, a certificate of achievement is issued instead of certificate of completion.
- Final report is submitted to relevant council (with permission from driver for GDPR compliance).
Taxi Driver Safeguarding Course
The objective of this course is to enable existing and new taxi drivers to develop their understanding of how to safeguard and protect children, young people and vulnerable adults as well as how to respond to evidence or concerns that a child, young person or vulnerable adult has been abused.
The course is accredited by The CPD Certification Service, the course will be conducted via video session and will last approximately two and a half hours.
Passing the safeguarding course
At the end of the course, candidates will be asked to take a knowledge test based on the course content. If a candidate passes the knowledge test, they will receive a pass certificate by email, within 3 working days.
Failing the assessment
If a candidate does not pass, they will need to rebook, fill in our booking form and pay for the course again.